Monday, July 19, 2010

Back to Racing


Ok, a week off and a 1.5 weeks of sick, and I'm back. This past weekend I raced out in Portland at the Alpenrose AVC. Funky track, great coffee, crazy tattoos, exciting racing, and superb friends!
I decided to do all the events since I am a "recovering" sprinter... why not?

Alpenrose velodrome is likely to scare most people. Steep, bumpy, and an awkward size... makes for some home court advantage for the Portlanders. I actually have a weird love for this track.
Racing all day for 3 days in a row. I had my own little apartment set-up.
Teammates :) Always posing for pictures!
Girl friends! I love meeting up with people from all over the country... trying to pummel each other on the bike and then laughing together in the infield.
The Tiemeyer beast never fails me! I still LOVE this bike.
Airing it out between races. Smelly bike racers!
Unfortunately, there is always a couple crashes. Cleaning the wounds could be more painful.
But at least there wasn't another one of these crashes... this was from the last time I raced here.

My 3 days in Portland ended with me winning all of the endurance events (pursuit, scratch, miss-n-out, points) and proving that I still have some speed in the sprint events (sprints, 500m, team sprint, keirin). With the results I won the Women's Omnium and came away happy!

Thanks to Charlie and the folks at Alpenrose for never failing to have a great race! Thanks to all the racers from across the country that traveled out to Portland. What a stacked women's field we had!!! I do think the women had more athletes participating than men this year (minus the Masters).

I will stay here in Portland and drive up to race in Seattle next weekend. More to come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WooHooo!! Go PB girl! Megan