Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Spirit

I haven't had time to write a blog in the last couple days.  I don't know why.  But I will catch you up little by little.

I left at 9:00 pm on the 22nd for Tasmania on the Spirit of Tasmania in the Melbourne port.  Several reasons I took the boat instead of flying- I could save $ (because of luggage fees with bikes and stuff it would be really expensive to fly), I could have a cool adventure, I could try to get over my fear of the ocean, and I could save more $.  So, I did it.
Well, I saved money for sure.  But my spirit of adventure ended when I remembered how sea sick I get and how scared I am on the ocean/sharks/etc..  So, in order to help with the other two factors, I swallowed the magic pills and went to sleep... the whole way.  Yes, I looked totally silly but I got a full night's sleep with my set up.
I payed for the recliner seats instead of a private cabin.  I realized that most people who pay for these seats do so because they plan on staying up all night at the bars/restaurants on board.  Even though these seats were sold out, the recliner cabin seemed kind of empty when I went to sleep and when I woke up.

I arrived in Devonport TAS at 7:00 am, checked in my hotel, ate some breakfast, put the bikes together, and headed out on a ride.... views to die for.  Pictures don't do any justice or else I would post them all.  Devonport is a super small port town. Rustic beaches. Blue skies. Winding roads. I could have ridden my bike all day. 


I had a nice dinner and went to bed early.  Good thing I wasn't looking for entertainment because I think the town shut down at 6:00 pm.

1 comment:

JT said...

Thinking of you Carri and hope you have a blast in Tassie. So wish I could have joined you! I thought of you last week as we passed near Boulder on our way to the mountains... 17" of powder in one dump. It was epic. Thanks for keeping up on your adventures! Much love, Jen